Should I do VORT or CBT&A?

  • Print

Vehicle on Road Test (VORT)

The Vehicle on Road Test (VORT) is a single testing process designed to assess your ability to drive on the road with other road users to achieve your goal. That goal is to successfully show that you can drive confidently and competently or the road negotiating traffic and displaying five different slow speed manoeuvres (U-Turn, 3 Point Turn, 90 Degree Angle Park, Reverse Parallel Park and Move off from the Kerb). The test time varies according to variables like traffic, it should take somewhere between 30-45 minutes. To successfully pass the test you must gain a score of 90% or above and adhere to all road laws. Any breach of the road law will result in an immediate fail. Once you are successful you will receive a Certificate of Competency which can be taken into a Service SA Centre with you 75 hours of logged time (including 15 night hours). The Vehicle on Road Test can be undertaken before you have been on your Learner's Permit for one year and before you have completed your 75 logged hours but you would not be able to receive a Provisional Licence until these have occurred. The Vehicle on Road Test is quite achievable but would suit someone who has a number of hours of experience and confident to undertake a test environment in varied traffic. 

Competency Based Training (CBT)
For many people the Competency Based Training provides a support that some feel does not come with the VORT. There is not a sense of pass or fail rather the tasks can be attempted at one's own pace. There is still a need to complete 75 hours and be on your Learner's Permit for a year. The major difference is that through the Competency Based Training a learner must complete 30 tasks, including review tasks. The tasks are:

  • Basic driving procedures
  • Slow speed manoeuvres
  • Basic road skills
  • Traffic management skills
  • Task reviews

The final task that is undertaken is designed to assess your driving confidence and competence. If you are able to display this to a satisfactory level you will be issued with a Certificate of Competency.

Which one is better?
There is no answer. Both have their merits. VORT to some people is a quicker option as requirements like a country drive do not need to be met in the VORT but are required to complete your CBT. With VORT when you are ready, or when you think you are ready to progress, a driving school can arrange a test. CBT allows you to work through your "Driver's Companion" at your own pace; each task gets marked off as you complete it. To be competent you need to complete all 30 tasks. Driver Intuition has driving instructors qualified for both kinds of training. It is a choice that you the learner need to make and you can change your mind at any stage.